An issue that I noticed that we have here in my community (Livonia) is the lack of diversity among the people. My high school, Stevenson, was probably 85-90% white students, the other being probably mostly black students. I think this causes racism among us becuase we aren't exposed to a lot of difference among our cultures and races, which in turn creates more hostility towards others not of our kind. Not that I'm against anyone that is different then me, but because I have grown up in a predominantly white community, I feel safer and more comfortable being around my own race.
p.71 #1
High School wasn't very difficult for me. Unfortunately I took easy classes, especially my senior year, and in the long run..didn't do me much good. Two classes that I guess helped me out in analyzing or "critical thinking" were my Poetry class I took during my junior year, which we interpreted poems and meanings of these, and then had to create our own. I also enjoyed taking Comp II my senior because we were given a broad'ish topic to elaborate on, and then take any direction we choose to go off on. The majority of the time we got to write about whatever we wanted, and I liked the way my teacher did things. She gave us a lot of time to write it, draft it, etc, and we peer edited a lot.
I also took journalism, but that class seemed to only focus on the newspaper and current events each week. I wasn't on the newspaper staff, so none of that helped me out. I believe I only took it because it counted as a speech/writing credit.
Sunday, October 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment